March 30, 2020
Due to ongoing circumstances associated with the COVID-19 virus, the University of Michigan is taking additional precautions to ensure the safety of our students and staff by closing the Trotter Multicultural Center. Although the physical space is closed, our dedicated team is continuing to serve students remotely between 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (Eastern Standard Time), Monday through Friday. We will remain closed until April 21, 2020.
Please reach out to us, we are here for you. You can email us at TrotterMC.Info@umich.edu. We look forward to new ways to bring students into our community.
Our priority is to support everyone's health, wellness, and safety. In adhering to the university's announcement, we have cancelled all events.
March 16, 2020
Dear valued Trotter Multicultural Center guest,
Thank you for considering Trotter Multicultural Center as a space for your reservation. Due to COVID-19, and in efforts to keep our campus and community safe, TMC is adjusting our hours. We will keep our regular hours of 10:00am to 12:00am for Saturday, March 14th and Sunday, March 15th. On Monday, March 16th, we will implement updated operating hours of Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. We will be closed on Saturdays and Sundays. We will still honor your 8:00am start events. These hours will be kept minimally until April 21, 2020.
Our office will be as flexible as possible with scheduled events while following all protocols set by the university. With that being said, we will cancel all bookings after 5:00pm on Monday to Friday and every Saturday and Sunday until April 21st. Furthermore, we are no longer able to host and support campus events with an attendance of 100 or more through April 21. We truly apologize for this inconvenience. If you wish to keep your event, Conference & Event Services (CES) will work with you to try to find you a space in one of the three Union spaces - the Union, the League, Pierpont, and also Palmer Commons. Please contact CES at 734- 674-2000 or email@example.com.
We are instituting the following ROOM CANCELLATION POLICIES:
- All events that were scheduled to take place on or before March 11 and were canceled prior to President Schlissel's March 11, 4:00 pm announcement, will be subject to normal cancellation policies for space, AV and food.
- Any cancellations for events scheduled to take place March 13 - May 15, regardless of size, will have all room and AV charges waived, with the exception of incurred costs (if any)—costs like third party vendor deposits or equipment rental.
We are instituting the following CATERING CANCELLATION POLICIES:
- All events that were scheduled to take place on or before March 11 and were canceled prior to President Schlissel's March 11, 4:00 pm announcement, will be charged 100% for cancellations of catering within 3 business days.
- We will be accepting cancellations of catering with no financial penalty if received by Friday, March 20. We ask that you make every effort to cancel with us as soon as you know if you intend to cancel, to reduce food waste and labor.
- All events scheduled to take place on or after March 21 that are canceled with less than 3 business days notice will incur 40% of full food charges. There is no charge for any beverages that were not prepared. No gratuity will be charged.
- If you are using one of our approved caterers (not MCatering or Cafe to Go), please contact the restaurant directly to cancel your food order.
As per our regular policy, there are no catering cancellation charges for events canceled with more than three days notice.
For events that are not canceled, we are carefully following the guidelines and directives from both the CDC and industry experts. As always, we are vigilant in our attention to detail when cleaning event spaces and all public areas. Added measures include:
- Increasing cleaning and sanitization of all surfaces.
- Increasing the amount of hand sanitizer stations at events.
- Regularly connecting with staff about the latest directives from the CDC.
- Maintaining strict handwashing guidelines.
- Ensuring that staff members adhere to our sick leave policies and stay home when they do not feel well.
And to ensure that we all remain healthy, we encourage our guests to:
- Wash hands regularly.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Consider alternatives to shaking hands.
- Stay home if you do not feel well.
Because the health and safety of our staff and guests is a priority to us, we are doing everything in our power to follow best practices. If there is any change in status, we will contact you.
Associate Director, Trotter Multicultural Center